The vital part of any successful crowdfunding campaign is active promotion of it on social media as well as in relevant press. You can easily find general strategy about compiling the press lists:
- focus on press & bloggers covering your industry
- focus on press & bloggers actively covering crowdfunding campaigns
- focus on relevant locations
- keep in mind the level of exposure
- keep in mind requirements of each publication
- be smart with special offers like exclusive content
Make sure you submit your press release to a relevant publications through the correct channels, otherwise your information will most likely get lost. And when sending out the emails pay attention to being newsworthy - it is useful to edit the press release text based on what would have higher chance of being published. For example, you are a female-led company making local craft beer and you are crowdfunding to open a tap room. You could have a different title for your story to get it published in different publications:
- Women-entrepreneurs rocking the male-dominated industry
- A new place for locals to get to know each other better
- Brewing startup shares ownership with customers
You can also check how engaging your headlines are using this awesome tool by CoSchedule: Write Better Headlines.Journalists like press releases for the simple fact that they make their job easier. If you can provide stories which are basically ready to publish, you are doing the journalists a huge favor. Any aspect of your press release which requires them to do extra work, such as fixing mistakes or doing additional research, lessens the story's chances to be published. To make it easy and past process, you can follow a fairly standard format for creating press releases and presenting your material what will help your credibility and chances of being published. Editors and publishers get multiple requests and making their life easier will help you reach the correct audience.
- Create a standard Press Kit and keep it up to date.
- Follow the general format for press releases to be published in a timely manner.
You can find the details and examples on Press Kit and Press Release format here (and even keep it for future use) ;)